• Date:
  • Type:
    Intranet, Office365
The challenge

Building a new internet, that came off the back of providing consultancy for an Office365 HLD and scoping for a huge migration of documents from an on-prem SP2007 to Office 365. We had little or no time and only myself and a small group of none technical staff as the resource to get a new intranet in place in time, for Dunnhumby's move over to a new Office365 setup. We'd done all the document mangement and started the migration. The next step was the intranet and internal Comms.

The solution

The project involved gathering user requirements, examining the existing intranet. I had the opportunity to organise a small workshop. Some of the outcomes of this can be seen in the photo taken below.

I had such little time that I went straight into development in a kind of quasi designing/development stage know as Lean Development/UX. Beware, it only works if you have the right people answering the questions and in my case I did. We worked in Kanban. I started out developing the masterpages and page layouts. I also ensured that all the outputs were compatible for cross-browser use and functionally supported iPad users as this was a major requirement.

Dunnhumby intranet
Managing the requirements
Lean Dev